LGBT Advocacy Project
LGBT Advocacy Project
To get help from the LGBT Advocacy Project, call 212-382-6759.
The LGBT Advocacy Project of the City Bar Justice Center is focused on reducing social and economic isolation within the LGBT community by those experiencing or threatened by poverty. The Project provides free legal advice and pro bono representation to income-eligible LGBT New Yorkers in the areas of life planning such as wills and healthcare proxies, discrimination, public benefits, inheritance, housing and foreclosure.
If you self-identify as LGBTQ and reside in New York City, we may be able to assist you with matters like these:
- Are you behind on your mortgage, coop/condo charges, or property taxes?
- Have you been served with eviction or foreclosure papers?
- Has your life partner, spouse or other family member passed and you have questions about your inheritance including a family home?
- Are you concerned that you might lose housing or other benefits if you get married?
- Have you suffered discrimination at work, a business or in housing based on your LGBTQ or other protected status?
The LGBT Advocacy Project operates a free, confidential helpline in English and Spanish at 212.382.6759 where you can leave a message 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Calls will be screened and returned on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Scott Kohanowski directs the LGBT Advocacy Project and Kayla Freeman is the project coordinator.
May 11, 2022
Sofia Colosimo is the Project Coordinator for the City Bar Justice Center’s Homeowner Stability and LGBT AdvocacyRead more
June 16, 2020
June is Pride Month: a time to celebrate the LGBTQ community and commemorate the 1969 Stonewall Riots, during whichRead more
June 15, 2018
LGBT Homeowner Stability Clinic at City Bar Justice Center When: Thursday, June 28th 12:00 PM – 5:30 PM WRead more
A small business virtual legal clinic will be held over Zoom in partnership with the Brooklyn Small Business Development Center and Brooklyn Public Library. Registration is required. Please click here if interested in participating.
A small business virtual legal clinic will be held over Zoom in partnership with the Upper Manhattan Business Solutions Center. Registration is required. Please click here if interested in participating.