Video: Discharging Student Loans in Bankruptcy
by CBJC Staff December 7, 2017
This video, produced by CBJC’s Consumer Bankruptcy Project, covers the qualifications your case must meet in order for your student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy:
Please note that this video provides general information to viewers about discharging student loans in bankruptcy. It is not a step-by-step guide on how to discharge these debts. It is important to speak with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to ensure that bankruptcy is the right process for you.
Watch the Consumer Bankruptcy Project’s video on Gathering Student Loan Information here.
Personal Bankruptcy Resources
- If you would like more information about filing for personal bankruptcy, please see the CBJC publication, “Personal Bankruptcy: Is it Right for You?”.
- The U.S. Department of Education has additional information about private and federal loans at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/federal-vs-private.
- The online database listing for Federal Student loans is the National Student Loan Data System, https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/.
- For information about bankruptcy procedure and forms, and to find the website for your local Bankruptcy Court, you can go to http://www.uscourts.gov/forms/bankruptcy-forms.
- CBJC’s Legal Hotline offers brief legal advice for low-income New Yorkers who cannot afford an attorney: Legal Hotline
- To find an attorney in New York state, visit the Legal Referral Service.
- To find an attorney in other states, visit the National Association of Consumer Attorneys.
- To get a free credit reports from the three major credit bureaus, go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com.
July 22, 2020
The article was written by the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project’s Legal Intern Cassandra Pereda. Busines...Read more
June 25, 2020
In response to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), New York City’s Department of Consumer Affairs (“DCA”) h...Read more
June 24, 2020
Thank you to City Bar Justice Center summer intern Arielle Rosker for her investigation and reporting on this stor...Read more