Video: Discharging Student Loans in Bankruptcy
by CBJC Staff December 7, 2017
This video, produced by CBJC’s Consumer Bankruptcy Project, covers the qualifications your case must meet in order for your student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy:
Please note that this video provides general information to viewers about discharging student loans in bankruptcy. It is not a step-by-step guide on how to discharge these debts. It is important to speak with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to ensure that bankruptcy is the right process for you.
Watch the Consumer Bankruptcy Project’s video on Gathering Student Loan Information here.
Personal Bankruptcy Resources
- If you would like more information about filing for personal bankruptcy, please see the CBJC publication, “Personal Bankruptcy: Is it Right for You?”.
- The U.S. Department of Education has additional information about private and federal loans at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/federal-vs-private.
- The online database listing for Federal Student loans is the National Student Loan Data System, https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/.
- For information about bankruptcy procedure and forms, and to find the website for your local Bankruptcy Court, you can go to http://www.uscourts.gov/forms/bankruptcy-forms.
- CBJC’s Legal Hotline offers brief legal advice for low-income New Yorkers who cannot afford an attorney: Legal Hotline
- To find an attorney in New York state, visit the Legal Referral Service.
- To find an attorney in other states, visit the National Association of Consumer Attorneys.
- To get a free credit reports from the three major credit bureaus, go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com.
June 27, 2019
On National PTSD Awareness Day, we are reminded just how prevalent mental health illnesses are among the U.S. vete...Read more
June 14, 2019
Every day at the Justice Center we’re inspired by the fathers we serve, who fight tirelessly for their children....Read more
June 7, 2019
2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the seminal LGBT civil rights moment – the Stonewall Riots in the West Villag...Read more